This vegan apple and cinnamon loaf cake is absolutely packed with sweet apples and spicy cinnamon, with maple syrup and brown sugar giving it a caramel-like swirl running through the loaf.
Perfect for pairing with a warm cup of tea as the weather gets colder.
Let’s dive in!
Autumn is well and truly here. Here in the UK, that means two things: rain, and wet, mushy leaves on the ground.
Sure, we have pumpkins and pumpkin spice, cozy socks, and fluffy jumpers, too – but for me, the turn of the season is always, always heralded by rain and lots of it.
This season means an increase in wholesome, heart bakes like pumpkin bread, comforting stews, and halloween treats. I thought I’d mix it up a bit, though, and created this divine apple and cinnamon loaf.
To make this apple and cinnamon loaf cake, you first need to peel and chop the apples, then mix them with cinnamon, brown sugar, and lemon juice.
Then in a separate bowl, you combine all the wet ingredients, then fold in the flour and baking powder.
Finally, you’ll add about two-thirds of the apple mixture, reserving the final third to sprinkle over the top for that gorgeous, apple-packed finish.
What apple to use when baking?
The first time I made this loaf cake, I used standard gala apples. They worked fine – the cake was still super yummy! – but these apples to tend to disintegrate a little more in the oven.
If you want an apple that really holds its shape, go for a Granny Smith or a Honeycrisp apple. This way, you can really see those sweet chunks of apple running throughout the cake.
This vegan and apple cinnamon loaf is the perfect combination of sweet and cinnamon-spicy and tastes so comforting paired with a hot cup of tea on a rainy day.
Then again, I don’t think I’d say no to a slice of this whatever the weather!
- 2 Granny Smith Apples
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 60g brown sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 200g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- 50g coconut oil
- 100g light brown or caster sugar
- 100ml plant-based milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Peel and chop the apples and plan in a bowl. Add the brown sugar (60g), cinnamon, and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the apple sauce, coconut oil, vanilla essence, milk, and remaining sugar.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Add about two-thirds of the apple mix to the cake batter and fold in.
- Pour the cake mix into the lined loaf tin, then top with the remaining apple mixture.
- Bake for 40 - 50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Nutrtional info is not always 100% accurate.