Peanut butter and chocolate rice crispy bars are a combination of all the best things: nuttiness, indulgent chocolate, sweet and sticky maple syrup, and crunchy rice puffs blending to create the perfect easy, no-bake treat.
First things first: the current photos I’m using for this post are not the best representation of this recipe.
When I photographed these bars, they were still cold and looked amazing – but when I got some out of the fridge to get to room temperature before eating, though, they just…crumbled.
Less rice crispy bars and more rice crispy mess.
So, obviously I wasn’t going to post the recipe. Recently, however, I re-made these bars to take on a trip up to the Lake District, and I finally perfected the ratios of ingredients and they were so good.
So good that I need to share this recipe with you guys – dodgy photos and all! If you want more peanut butter goodness, make sure you’ve also checked out these dreamy peanut butter cookies (with just three ingredients!). These almond butter cookies are another great option!
These vegan peanut butter and chocolate rice crispy bars are:
- Easy to make
With just minimal ingredients, these bars are also perfect for adapting depending on what you have in your cupboards.
To give these bars another dimension, add a layer of this super simple date caramel between the rice crispies and the dark chocolate.
An important thing to note when making this recipe is that making sure the rice crispy mix is set before pouring the chocolate over the top is really important! Otherwise, you’ll end up mixing the chocolate into the rice crispy mix rather than spreading a nice thick layer over the top.
Equally, make sure the chocolate has set before cutting your bars for nice clean lines.
- 200g natural rice crispy puffs
- 200g smooth peanut butter
- 180 ml maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100g vegan dark chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, heat the peanut butter and maple syrup until it blends together, then stir in the rice crispies.
- Pour the mix into a baking tin lined with baking paper, evenly spreading the crispies so they're even in height. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes or in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, melt the dark chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds to avoid burning the chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate over the chilled rice crispy bars and spread evenly, then freeze for another 60 minutes or place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes until set.
- Chop the bars into even squares, and then refrigerate until ready to eat. Eat cold or at room temperature!