Easy, fresh, and so delicious, this vegan mango smoothie is a fantastic quick fruity breakfast or perfect as an afternoon snack. Filling protein-rich coconut yoghurt combines with fresh orange juice, ripe mango and frozen banana for added creaminess. This beautifully vibrant smoothie also has chia seeds and flax seeds so it’s packed with goodness and tastes amazing.
If mangoes were more common and less expensive here in the UK, I think I would have them for breakfast every single day.
I still dream of the time when I was travelling through South East Asia and would grab the biggest, juiciest mangoes from the local market and just gorge myself on all that deliciousness, straight up!
The other day I decided to indulge myself and picked up a mango from my local shop and knew straight away that I had to make my favourite mango smoothie recipe.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
This is an insanely easy mango smoothie recipe that is vegan-friendly and packed with nutrients. I never follow a strict recipe when I’m making smoothies – I just throw in ingredients that I know will pair well together and enjoy! These are the ingredient you’ll need for this recipe:
- Mango: Duh! I used fresh mango here but you could also get frozen mango chunks from the supermarket (this will work out cheaper if you plan to make a large batch of this smoothie).
- Banana: I use frozen banana in all my smoothies because it adds an amazing creamy texture that unfrozen bananas just cannot match. Simply place ripe, peeled bananas chopped into chunks in a zip lock bag and freeze for a couple of hours or overnight. I tend to keep a bag in the freezer permanently, just adding a banana here and there when I’ve left a bunch on the side for too long!
- Chia seeds and flax seeds: Adding seeds to smoothies is an easy and effective way to add some nutrients (such as fibre and protein) to your vegan mango smoothie. These aren’t essential to the recipe so leave them out or sub in hemp seeds if you prefer – I just always tend to use this variation and have them to hand often!
- Orange juice: The fresh, tropical taste of orange juice just pairs so beautifully with the mango flavour.
- Coconut yoghurt: Finally, coconut yoghurt is vegan-friendly, adds a little protein to the recipe, and contributes a wonderful taste and creamy texture to this recipe. A must!
Substitutions and adaptions
My favourite thing about smoothies is how versatile they are. If you don’t have one ingredient, you can almost always find substitutions that would work equally well. A few potential substitutions that will work great with this recipe include:
- Adding in passion fruit juice or pulp for an extra tropical twist. You could even spoon some of this passion fruit curd in for added indulgence and sweetness.
- Swap out the orange juice for coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk for a creamier and milder texture and taste.
- Add a flavourless or vanilla-flavoured vegan protein powder to the recipe for added protein (this is a great way to make your smoothie more filling and calorie-dense for breakfast)
- Swap the coconut yoghurt for soy yoghurt or greek yoghurt if you’re not vegan.
I would recommend serving this recipe straight away. It only takes a minute or two to whip up, so not much point in making it in advance!
Can I freeze this recipe?
You could definitely freeze portions of mango chunks, bananas, chia seeds, and flax seeds in freezer storage bags with some ice. Then, just blitz with orange juice and coconut yoghurt and you’re done! I wouldn’t recommend freezing the finished smoothie, however.
Is frozen mango or fresh mango better for this recipe?
Honestly, there’s not much difference. Fresh mango is what I had to hand when creating this recipe, but frozen mango is often the most cost effective and can add to that deliciously creamy texture that frozen banana adds too.
More fruity recipes and smoothies you’ll like:
- Frozen Fruit Smoothie Bowl
- Pregnancy Smoothie Recipe (Vegan)
- Easy Vegan Protein Oats With Stewed Blueberries
- Easy Vegan Lemon Curd
- Vegan Raspberry Muffins
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground flax seeds
- 1.5 cups orange juice
- 1 cup coconut yoghurt
- Place all your ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth! Add more juice or yoghurt if you want a less thick smoothie.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 81gFiber: 6gSugar: 67gProtein: 9g