An easy vegan chicken and tomato pasta recipe with a delicious sun-dried tomato sauce. This vegan pasta is quick to make, packed with protein, and makes a great family meal for everyone to share.
You just can’t beat a pasta bake, can you?
Yummy tomato sauce with that delicious top layer of slightly crunchy pasta, topped with vegan cheese and breadcrumbs. And here, vegan chicken is added in for a truly hearty dinner.
This vegan chicken and tomato pasta has become a firm favourite in our home. The addition of sundried tomatoes into the sauce takes it from average to truly outstanding! I often serve this recipe as both a pasta dish and as a pasta bake – really it works either way!
What you’ll need:
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Vegan chicken chunks (I love the This Isn’t Chicken pieces for this recipe)
- Pasta (fusilli or rigatoni is best)
- Tomato passata
- Sundried tomatoes
- Mixed herbs
- Vegan cheese & breadcrumbs (for pasta bake)
How to make a vegan chicken and tomato pasta bake
For this recipe, I first brown the vegan chicken in a frying pan to get it all delicous and crispy. I just use olive oil, salt, and pepper and cook until golden and crispy, then set aside.
Using the same pan, saute your onion and garlic, then add the passata and chopped sundried tomatoes. Add a little water and the herbs, then simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
In the meantime, cook the pasta, then add the cooked pasta and vegan chicken to the sauce and stir. If you’re making this meal into a pasta bake, pour the pasta into a baking dish and top with vegan cheese and breadcrumbs.
Adaptations/substitutions for this recipe
If you’re missing an ingredient, or want to adapt this recipe, the following adaptations could work great:
- Use white beans instead of vegan chicken
- Use veggie sausages chopped up instead of vegan chicken
- Add spinach or kale
- Add a spoon of vegan cream cheese to make this recipe extra creamy
- Replace the sundried tomatoes with tomato puree
- Simmer the sauce for longer so it thickens, and use the sauce and vegan chicken in pitta bread with salad
Other pasta recipes you’ll love!
- Vegan Spinach Pasta
- Butternut Squash and White Bean Pasta
- Quick & Easy Courgette Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Greek Pasta Salad Recipe
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6- 8 sundried tomatoes + 2 tbsp oil, roughly chopped or blended
- 159g vegan chicken (I love the This Isn't Chicken chunks for this!)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 300g tomato passata
- 225g pasta
- Add a little olive oil to a frying pan and cook your vegan chicken until it's golden and crispy. Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
- In the same pan, cook your onion for 5-6 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Chuck your chopped sundried tomatoes into the pan, then stir in the spices and passata. Add about 50ml water, cover, and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook your pasta.
- Add the cooked pasta and vegan chicken to the sauce, and stir.
- Serve as is, or pour into a baking dish and top with vegan cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 minutes for a pasta bake.and
This recipe keeps great in the fridge for around 3 days.