This creamy sausage pasta made with vegan sausages is unbelievable – a hearty recipe with sausage crumbles, a creamy tomato sauce, and topped with chilli flakes for a hit of spice.
An easy one-pot sausage pasta recipe is so easy to make and makes a deliciously filling and hearty dinner that goes great as leftovers throughout the week. This is one of my go-to recipes – a creamy sauce, protein, and pasta – what could be better?
What’s more, this vegan creamy pasta recipe is super versatile – you could swap up vegan sausages for mince or vegan chicken chunks, add in as much veg as you’d like, or even top the pasta with vegan cheese and breadcrumbs to make it into a pasta bake.
How to make this creamy sausage pasta
Full the full quantities and instructions, scroll to the bottom of the page for the recipe card.
This vegan creamy sausage pasta is ready in under 30 minutes and is a wonderfully hearty meal that your whole family can enjoy together. Here’s how to make this recipe.
Ingredients you’ll need
This recipe uses the following ingredients – scroll down to the recipe card for the correct quantities:
- Vegan sausages – For this recipe, I used the beyond meat vegan sausages, which have a really great ‘meaty’ flavor. However, you could use whatever your favorite vegan sausage is!
- Red onion
- Fresh tomatoes
- Tinned plum tomatoes – Tinned chopped tomatoes will work in a pinch, but plum tomatoes are best!
- Vegan cream cheese – I use the plant-based Philadelphia for this recipe, but a plant-based single cream could also work.
- Rigatoni pasta – Other acceptable pasta shapes include tagliatelle, giant pasta shells, and mezzi rigatoni.
- Seasoning – I use salt and pepper, oregano, and chilli flakes to really set this dish off.
This recipe simply requires:
- A cutting board
- A sharp knife
- A saucepan for your pasta
- A large pan for the creamy sausage sauce
Prepping your vegetables
To make this creamy sausage pasta, start off by dicing your red onion and fresh tomatoes.
Heat a little olive oil in your pan, and then tip in the onion and tomatoes and cook on low heat for a couple of minutes. Then, add in your minced garlic.
Crumbling the vegan sausage
For this recipe, I chose to simply crumble the sausage directly into the pan, breaking up any bigger chunks with my spatula. This makes the sausage almost a ‘mince’ texture with a few larger chunks here and there, which I think goes great with the creamy pasta.
However, you could choose to slice your vegan sausages instead and add them into your pan like this for more solid chunks of sausage in your meal.
Stirring in the sauce
For the sauce, you’ll simply tip your plum tomatoes into the onion, tomato, and sausage mix, and then add another half a can of water and season. Leave the mix to simmer for around 10 minutes while you cook your pasta separately, then add a loaded scoop of cream cheese and stir in.
I love to use rigatoni pasta for this recipe – I find it the perfect shape for the creamy pasta sauce and vegan sausage chunks. Other pasta you could consider replacing rigatoni for, however, include tagliatelle or perhaps giant pasta shells.
This is a great recipe for meal prepping, so you can enjoy your vegan sausage pasta leftovers for a couple of days after cooking! This should last in the fridge between 3 – 5 days in an airtight container.
You could also cook the sauce/sausage mix and freeze it – it’s best to prepare your pasta fresh separately if you’re planning on freezing this recipe, however.
This vegan creamy sausage pasta recipe is extremely versatile, so there are plenty of swaps and adaptations you could make for an equally delicious meal. Some of these swaps include:
- Using vegan single cream, or vegan creme fraiche instead of vegan cream cheese should work great. You might want to add some nutritional yeast for that slightly cheesy flavor.
- Add in roasted red peppers and spinach to pack out the veg content of this recipe
- Substitute the plum tomatoes for diced or chopped tinned tomatoes
- Use ground vegan sausage in place of whole sausages
- Add in vegetable broth instead of the half can of water for extra flavor
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best vegan sausage for this recipe?
I used the Beyond Meat vegan sausages for this recipe and I love the deep ‘meaty’ flavor these sausages have. However, any vegan sausage that you love should work great!
How to make a vegan creamy pasta?
To make your vegan sausage pasta beautifully creamy, you’ll need to add one of the following:
- Vegan cream cheese (that’s what this recipe uses)
- Vegan creme fraiche
- Vegan single cream
- Vegan cashew cream (soaked cashews and a little water blended together)
You could also blend up some roasted butternut squash to add to your sauce which adds a wonderfully cream flavor. Take a look at this creamy butternut squash pasta sauce for some inspiration!
Is this a one-pot sausage pasta recipe?
This recipe technically uses two pots – one for the sauce, and one for the pasta. I haven’t tried just adding the pasta into one pot, so I’d recommend sticking to the existing instructions (it’s only one extra pot anyway!).
How to make this creamy sausage pasta gluten-free?
You could substitute the rigatoni pasta for gluten-free pasta to make this recipe gluten-free.
Other vegan pasta recipes you’ll love:
- Vegan Chicken and Tomato Pasta
- Butternut Squash and White Bean Pasta
- Quick & Easy Courgette Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce
- Vegan Spinach Pasta
Have you tried this recipe?
- 2 vegan sausages (beyond meat)
- 1 red onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 400g tin plum tomatoes
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese/crème fraiche (I use Philadelphia plant based cream cheese)
- 150g rigatoni pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chilli flakes
- Diced your onion and tomato and add to a saucepan with olive oil
- Sauté for 5 - 7 mins on a low heat
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute
- Crumble in the sausage and cook for 5 minutes on high, browning them off
- Add in your plum tomatoes and half a tin of water. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes, gently breaking the tomatoes down with your wooden spoon
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to the packet instructions
- Stir the cream into the sausage mix, then stir in your cooked pasta and a couple of tablespoons of the pasta water
- Season with chopped basil and chilli flakes
This recipe keeps nicely in the fridge for around 3 days, so make a big batch and enjoy the leftovers for your lunch!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.