The perfect vegan summer pasta dish: tagliatelle pasta served with a fresh and easy tomato sauce, topped with vegan feta, garlic roasted cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves. Amazing!
The Perfect Vegan Summer Pasta: Tomato Pasta with Vegan Feta and Basil
My mouth has been watering looking at this pasta dish I created a couple of days ago.
Some of my favourite flavours ever thrown together to result in this gorgeous light, healthy, and super satisfying pasta dish that’s ready in 30 minutes.
This recipe is vegan friendly because it uses my vegan tofu feta recipe – if you wanted to save time, you could use a shop-bought vegan feta cheese, or if you’re not vegan you could use normal feta.
Tomato basil pasta sauce
This is my super easy go-to tomato pasta sauce recipe, using a base of garlic, passata, and dried basil.
To start, saute very finely (very, very finely!!) diced white onion in a little olive oil, then add garlic, passata, dried basil, a touch of sugar, seasoning, and my secret ingredient – some balsamic vinegar to give it some depth.
Another deliciously hearty tomato pasta sauce you might love is featured in this vegan chick’n and tomato pasta dish – using chopped sundried tomatoes for the most amazing unami taste.
This recipe really goes up a notch thanks to the addition of the garlic roasted cherry tomatoes – simply halve, gently toss in a little olive oil and minced garlic, and roast for 25 minutes while getting everything else together.
Seasoned with some fresh salt on top results in the most heavenly flavour! I love this pasta dish when I want a healthy, satisfying meal that doesn’t take much time. I hope you love it!
- 2 servings of tofu feta (~120g)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Handul fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 160g dried tagliatelle pasta
For the pasta sauce:
- 1 white onion, very finely diced
- 250g tomato passata
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 0.5tsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Make the tofu feta and leave to marinate for at least an hour before using.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Halve your cherry tomatoes and gently mix them in a bowl with 0.5tbsp olive oil and the minced garlic. Place them skin-side down on a non-stick baking tray, and roast for 25 - 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, start cooking your tomato sauce. Heat a non-stick pan, add your drizzle of olive oil, then cook your finely diced white onion on a low heat for 5 - 8 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 1 - 2 minutes.
- Tip in the passata, balsamic vinegar, dried basil, and sugar. Simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes or longer, until the sauce is your desired thickness. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While your tomato sauce is simmering, cook your pasta according to the package instructions until al dente.
- Drain the pasta, and then stir it gently into your tomato sauce - adding a ladle (0.5 cup) of the pasta water. Cook for another couple of minutes until the sauce absorbs.
- Stir in two thirds of your tofu feta, then dish up the pasta and top with your roasted cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and the remaining tofu.
- Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some black pepper and serve!
Best served fresh.