You never have to have boring, limp green beans again with this amazing roasted frozen green beans recipe! Just add the frozen green beans directly to your roasting tray, add your spices and herbs, and roast in a preheated oven for absolute perfection, every time.
Green beans are definitely up there in my all-time favorite vegetables – and there’s an added bonus, of course, that they’re a budget-friendly option to buy frozen.
Some people worry that frozen vegetables aren’t as good quality as buying them fresh, but when it comes to this roasted frozen green beans recipe, that’s definitely not the case.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Texture: This roasted green bean recipe results in beautifully crispy green beans coated in delicious spices. So much better than your standard steamed green bean side dish!
- Ease: This recipe has about 1 minute of prep time, and that’s it. You just need to preheat your oven, and most of the work is already done! This is a perfect vegetable side dish that takes zero effort but has loads of flavor.
- Taste: Using simple ingredients, this roasted frozen green beans recipe transforms the mild-tasting vegetable into an absolute taste sensation.
Ingredient & Equipment Notes
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for the exact quantities and instructions.
- Frozen green beans: You should be able to find these in the freezer section of most large stores and supermarkets.
- Olive oil: Just a little, to coat your green beans. Other oils like vegetable oil or coconut oil would also work.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- (Optional) A sprinkle of red chilli flakes
In terms of equipment, all you’ll need is a large baking tray and some baking paper/parchment paper to line it.
How To Make Easy Roasted Frozen Green Beans
Here are the step-by-step instructions you need to make these super easy, delicious roasted frozen green beans!
Step 1: Preheat your oven and line your baking tray
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F | 200 degrees C and line your baking tray with baking paper.
Step 2: Tip your frozen green beans onto the baking tray
No need to defrost the green beans first – tip the frozen beans straight out!
Step 3: Add your oil, coat the beans, then sprinkle over the spices
Pour your oil over the green beans and stir well to ensure they’re evenly coated. Then, sprinkle over the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
Step 4: Bake for 15 – 20 minutes
When you remove your green beans, they should be beautifully cooked with just a little crispiness!
- Avoid letting your frozen green beans defrost, as this could result in soggy beans! Cooking them straight from frozen offers the best results.
- Make sure you preheat your oven! Getting your oven up to the required temperature before roasting is a must for those perfectly crispy, delicious green beans.
- Adjust the seasonings to your taste: If you like a lot of garlic, add more garlic powder. If you like a bit of spice, add more chilli flakes.
- If you like green beans with less “bite,” you might want to cook them for closer to 30 minutes.
This roasted frozen green beans recipe is super versatile. The spices listed in this recipe are classics that are guaranteed to give your green beans a delicious flavor that pairs well with almost any other dish. However, there are plenty of variations you could use! Here are a few suggestions:
- Squeeze over a little lemon juice for a fresh, zesty element
- Add sliced garlic to the green beans instead of garlic powder
- Sprinkle over some soy sauce and use sesame oil instead to give the green beans a delicious Asian-inspired savory flavor
- Add some paprika for a slightly spicier variation
These roasted frozen green beans are best served immediately. They’re the perfect side dish for recipes like spinach pasta, crushed pesto potatoes, a summer tofu and sweet potato salad, or with other sides like these beautiful crispy roast potatoes.
These green beans will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge after cooking. Pop them back into the oven to warm them up or enjoy cold! These are also great chopped up and added cold to salads.
Yes, you can. However, keep in mind that fresh green beans may require less time to cook than frozen ones.
No, you don’t have to. In fact, it’s best to roast them directly from frozen, as they will release less moisture and will result in a crispier texture.
Yes, you can freeze them. To do so, let them cool to room temperature, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply place them on a baking sheet and roast them in a 350°F (177°C) oven for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
Yes, you can. Roasted green beans can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat them, simply place them on a baking sheet and roast them in a 350°F (177°C) oven for 5-10 minutes, or until heated through.
A temperature of 400 – 425°F (218°C) is ideal for roasting green beans. This high temperature will help to caramelize the outside of the beans while keeping the inside tender.
Roasting time will vary depending on the size of the green beans and how crispy you want them to be. Generally, it’s best to roast them for 15-20 minutes. Optionally, you could toss them once or twice during cooking to ensure even roasting – but I don’t find this totally necessary.
Beyond the seasonings listed in the recipe card below, you can use a variety of seasonings to flavor your roasted green beans. For example, you can use garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or even parmesan cheese. Just be sure to toss the green beans in the seasoning mixture before roasting to evenly coat them.
- 100g frozen roasted green beans
- 0.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- (optional) 0.5 tsp chilli flakes
- Pre-heat your oven to 400° F | 200° C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Tip out the frozen green beans onto the baking tray and coat with your olive oil, ensuring their spread evenly.
- Sprinkle over your seasonings.
- Roast in your oven for 15 - 18 minutes until they're cooked and just slightly crispy on the outside.
These roasted frozen green beans are best served immediately. You can store them in the fridge for up to 5 days, however, and enjoy them cold or heated back up in the oven until piping hot and crispy again.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.